Sunday, July 25, 2010

15 Weeks - Daddy Thoughts

Well, it’s week 15 of Operation “Bun-in-the-Oven” and Kristen asked if I wanted to guest-blog the entry for this week. So, I guess this is my chance to share my thoughts and feelings thus far with everyone.

I once heard a saying that stated, “The only constant in life is change.” How true that is. Thinking back, life is a menagerie of thoughts; those reminiscing what once was (or could have been) and then there are those thoughts of what is to come.

Remember back to kindergarten and thinking how awesome it would be once you were in first grade? You got your first real back pack and a lunchbox with a matching thermos. There was always the list of materials you needed; notebooks, folders, pencils, markers, etc. There was always that thrill of shopping the school supplies aisle at the local store, searching for that perfect folder with the cartoon character you idolized. And oh the joys of picking out your wardrobe for that infamous first day at school. “Jeans or shorts? T-shirt or polo? Do I spike my hair or leave it down? ” These were the questions that plagued our young minds and many of us felt a sense of exhilaration from it.

Then from first grade to second grade, second to third, and so on. Like a book from the Harry Potter series, each year began, ran its course with all the twists and turns concluding with a final chapter (although most of us didn’t worry about battling a dark lord while simultaneously studying for our O.W.L.S.). And at the end of each book, there was always an excerpt for the next book in the series; you always had an idea of where you were headed next. And much like the teaser in the book, there was always just enough information to excite you, knowing the next book, the next year would be better than the last. Things would be different. Better. Change for the good.

Well, coming into week 15, that’s kind of how I feel. I’ve seen babies. I’ve been around babies. I’ve seen parents with babies. But it’s always been like reading a book over someone’s shoulder. I get an idea of what’s going on, maybe a glimmer of what it’s all about; but I really don’t know just yet; not unless I get my own copy of the book to read. But the coolest thing to think about is what the book will hold in store for me. Will the baby look like me? Will it have my smile? Will it have Kristen’s nose? What pieces of me will the little Bean have? These are the chapters I can’t wait to read. And what new experiences will we have together? Trips to the zoo? To the park? Family bike rides? These are the chapters I can’t wait to read. Nap time? Feeding time? These are the chapters I can’t wait to read. First words? First steps? First birthdays? These are the chapters I can’t wait to read. All these thoughts keep going through my head. I don’t know what will happen, but I am excited that I will be a part of the story.


-Jared

1 comment:

  1. Jared - you're a great writer. What a very cool glimpse into your soon-to-be-a-dad's thoughts. I bet you'll be great parents!

    ReplyDelete