Most of you know (but in case you don't) 95% of my patients are Hispanic and either speak very little or no english at all. I took four years of spanish in high school and one more year my freshman year at IU. I was pretty good at spanish after those five years, but if you don't use language you loose it. I didn't speak a word of it again until I got my current job (so. . 8 years? yikes). I am surprised daily at my random vocabulary words that I remember. I've re-learned enough in the past year and a half to update medical histories, medications, teach brushing, flossing, and say "Healthy gums don't bleed!" (my favorite phrase).
So today I actually had three patients in a row that spoke English (as a first language) and this was when I had my funny thought. Sometimes I'm glad that I can't have casual conversation with my patients! The reason being that I jabbered on so much today that I actually started running late! I'm always on time with my patients (usually I even run ahead), so I was so surprised at my lateness.
Now the question is, would I be like this if all my patients spoke English? Or did I just prattle on today because I never get to talk casually to my patients? By my third patient I had to tell myself to shut up in my head so I could catch back up. I guess if I ever move to a practice where the patients speak English I'll have to watch myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment