Monday, February 7, 2011

Well Said


I love this post on Baby Making Machine.

I've learned lately about being flexible and being a mommy. I'm still working on it. People have these ideas of what is right and wrong for babies. . .here are a few I've read about on blogs.

Pacifiers. . . . .bad
Organic. . . .good
Junk Food. . . .bad
Clothe diapers. . . good
Disposable diapers. . . .bad
Breast Milk. . . . good
Formula. . . . bad
Natural birth. . . good
Medical interventions. . . .bad

While I'm so glad that I'm able to breast feed my baby, I wouldn't judge a woman that didn't want to. Honestly though, I might have before Bean was born. "Why wouldn't she breast feed?? (if she was able to)" I would probably say "It's so beneficial for the baby!" bla bla bla.

You really have no idea how hard somethings in motherhood are, or just the fact that it might not be for you. This is something I didn't understand until I became a mother.

There is no right or wrong way to raise your baby. I was formula fed; I'm perfectly healthy. I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch probably every day at school from grades 1-7 (I'm really not joking here).

I think I turned out ok.

Now while I'm still not a huge fan of pacifiers (hello people, I'm a dental hygienist and they will eventually ruin your kid's teeth. . .dentistry is a huge part of my life, I have issues! :-) Yup, I gave Bean a pacifier, and let me tell you it's wonderful at 3am when he won't go back to sleep. Hopefully he won't use it much after 6 months, but hey, right now it's my best friend at night.

Just somethings to think about.

2 comments:

  1. What's funny is I grew up cloth diapered, all organic, etc., and I turned out to have all sorts of allergies and all the things that doing that is supposed to prevent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. We've done/do all 5 "bad" items on your list and yet I'm not conerned. I had trouble making milk but breast fed them as long as I could. It's amazing how different children are rasied/develop/behave/mature. There is definitely no manual to follow when it comes to raising a child. I like how my boys are similar yet very different.

    ReplyDelete