Thursday, February 10, 2011

Can of Worms. . . . Vaccinations

I know I'm totally going to open a can of worms here. . . .but Bean's two month check up is coming up and I don't know what to do about his vaccinations.

I work in a really germy environment, so I know I want to vaccinate. But I'm really torn between the delayed schedule (a la Dr. Sears) and the one recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC.

Dr. Sears stuff makes sense to me, but I also read this article in the journal of the AAP totally debunking Dr. Sears book and theories saying he prays on parents fears just to sell books.

I'd really love to hear everybody's opinion.

If you worked in a dental office and people's spit flew on you daily. . . would you run the risk of taking a vaccine preventable infection home to your baby?

I guess I'm leaning towards the traditional. . . .ugh I don't know. Help!

2 comments:

  1. I work with kids. I blow noses and hold hands and pick up pencils and take bathroom breaks. Peter calls them petri dishes, and joked around before we had Jason that he was going to pull a Monsters Inc. sock intervention when I came home everyday. There's no way that I was going to not vaccinate. It didn't seem fair to the kids. I trusted my pediatrician in terms of the schedule... you know how you posted the other day that you were formula fed and you turned out ok? He was my pediatrician, and I turned out pretty good, too :)

    I can't remember the details of the vaccines, but I know that we had more wellness check ups than some of my friends so we could space out the vaccines more. (1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15 months)

    The ultimate choice is up to you and Jared. Your instincts will make the right choice for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We vaccinate. Read this: http://dailycaller.com/2011/01/21/how-a-lawsuit-drove-the-vaccine-autism-fraud/ Essentially, the 'research' that vaccines caused autism was cooked up evidence for a guy who was trying to win a lawsuit and then thanks to celebrities (ugh...don't get me started on Jenny McCarthy--the one who was the loudest voice that vaccines cause autism, and then she goes and says she 'cured' her son...what a bunch of BS!)

    I agree with Carol...it is your choice. But as there are plenty of moms out there convinced that vaccinating is giving your kid a life sentence to autism, know the reverse side. Moms like me who want to know if kids HAVEN'T been vaccinated, because we don't want those kids enrolled in kindergarten or pre-school with our kids.

    ReplyDelete