We started the day going to our favorite breakfast restaurant. I got this delicious omelet with bacon, avocados, and sour cream . . mmmmmm, so yummy. Next we went to one of the out door malls near us and did a little shopping/walking. Yes, being in Chicago it was quite cold out, but we bundled up and the wind wasn't blowing too much so it was actually pretty nice. Plus cold weather makes the crowds minimal.
After shopping we made a random decision to go out again and pick up a new phone for me (my early Christmas present). The last phone I had was a Motorola Razer, remember those? It broke about 8 months ago and since then I've been using my friend's old Blackjack. This was fine until the phone started freezing up a bunch lately. We had 75 dollars in store credit at the Apple store from returned gifts, so we decided to pick up an iPhone 3GS (30 bucks after tax for a new phone, not too bad!). I hate spending money on phones, but it was needed.
It was about this time I started feeling funny. It was hard to describe, kind of like menstrual cramps combined with pressure you have when you have a bladder infection. It wasn't super painful, just uncomfortable, and I didn't think it could be labor because it didn't come in waves, it was just. . .sort of constant. Right when I decided that this might mean something I got a text message from one of my good friends (that has a baby) asking how I was doing. I asked her if labor can feel like menstrual cramps and she said that her early labor felt exactly like menstrual cramps! Yikes!
When she told me that I started feeling pretty antsy. After another conformation from my sister in law (mommy of 4) that indeed menstrual cramps could mean active labor would come soon, I scarfed my dinner at Panera and ran out of the restaurant to go home. I hadn't showered yet that day and really wanted to shower at home before I went to the hospital.
The cramps continued but didn't get any worse as Jared and I got cleaned up and rechecked my hospital bag to make sure we packed everything. I really thought that this was it! I've never seen Jared so excited. Just to make sure that this was the real deal we decided to wait another 30-45 minutes to see if it felt better or worse. Much to Jared's disappointment after I sat down on the couch and relaxed a bit the cramps slowly got better.
So here I am, still at home, no baby yet! I've been trying to stay active again (I'm doing laundry, walking up and down the billion steps in our house) but I've been feeling pretty good, only an occasional cramp.
I think it's funny that my pregnancy has been so uneventful, but I've had about every pre-labor symptom in the book. I joked in my 38 week post that I didn't think there were more signs that the baby was coming soon, but apparently there is! I wonder what is next?
I woke up with menstrual cramps about 18 hours before Tommy was born. With Luke, it was four days before he was born, but still! It definitely means your body is getting ready. :) Keep walking and have lots of sex (seriously, it helps!).
ReplyDelete