Monday, February 22, 2010

Slightly Angry

I am slightly angry at the library today. I know when I first got my library card I was super excited. A FREE way to do one of the things I enjoy most, reading. "Why didn't I get a library card sooner?" I asked myself. I was so dumb to spend all that money on books I could have gotten for free!

So for the past few weeks I have been reading up a storm. . .now I have a confession. I am a marathon reader. If I enjoy it, I can sit down with a book for 6-8 hours straight with only quick snack and potty breaks. Time flies! Well, my eye doctor says that's a big "no no" for me with my recent eye problems. Apparently when I concentrate I don't blink much, which is bad for my eyes, and also with as strong a prescription as I have (I'm SUPER blind) it also can cause eye strain, bla, bla, etc, etc. (Side Note: Why is everything I love bad for me? Video games hurt my hands, reading hurts my eyes, dessert hurts my cholesterol. . .life can be cruel.)

Anyway, I'm trying to break the marathon reading habit. This past week I've been limiting myself to only one or two chapters every night of my latest acquisition from the library, The Lovely Bones. Now, this stretches out the book significantly. Especially if I skip a day or two reading because of other life things going on. The book was due back last Thursday so I went back to the library to renew it because I didn't finish it. . .this is the angry part. Since the book is so popular they wouldn't let me renew it because other people had holds on it. BOO! So I could either keep it (and pay a quarter for every day I kept it) or return it and get back on the list. Now, I could have finished the book in a day easy! IF I went back to my old habits. . . but I was a good girl and returned the book and put myself back on the hold list. The librarian said I was number 127 on the list. I wonder how long it will take to to get back?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the library isn't conducive to the restrictions my eye doctor has placed on me. Either that or I can't read any popular books. . . but where is the fun in that? Anybody know any good non popular books so I can take my sweet time reading them?

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a half-price book store? I am positive they would have it. I'd let you borrow my copy, but that might take just as long to get to you! :)

    ReplyDelete