So I know in many of my latest blog posts I've talked about my pre-motherhood formed judgements of motherhood, here is another one, "spoiled sleeping."
Before I became a mother I always thought I'd be about, "tough love." The baby will not sleep in our room, the baby will never sleep in our bed, the baby will not nap in my arms, the baby will self soothe, etc etc I could go on, you get the idea.
There are two big concepts that came into play when I became a mother. One: I had no idea how desperate I would be for sleep/naps and what I would do to get them. Two: I had no idea how I wouldn't want to ever put the baby down!
Yes friends, this has lead to my baby being spoiled. I'm going to admit some things right now. Yes, he sleeps in a bassinet in our room (it's so easy to pull him into bed, nurse, and then put him back). Yes, he's slept with me in our bed (I've only done this early in the morning when I want an extra hour of sleep. If I pull him into bed with me he calms down and sleeps longer) Yes, I've napped with him sleeping on my chest (as stated before, he sleeps longer when I cuddle with him). . . . *sigh*. . . He may or may not be sleeping in the Boppy on my lap as I awkwardly type up this blog post on the laptop.
I suppose if you wanted to be really strict, this can be avoided. . . .but apparently that's not for me. I am lucky though, as long as Bean is swaddled he will pretty much sleep anywhere I put him, but I've learned that he sleeps much much longer when he's snuggled up to a warm body. It works for us. . . for now. I do worry sometimes about people judging me. Thinking those things I thought before I became a mother.
At this point though, I'm going to hold him in my arms as long as he's small enough to fit in them. Because he loves it. . .because I love it. And when the time eventually comes, we will live that potentially hellish week that will be sleep training, but for now. . . .he's a spoiled sleeper and thats ok.
I see nothing wrong with what you're doing! They grow up way too fast to not snuggle with them as much as you can.
ReplyDeleteLol, you will be judged by pregnant and non-moms for every decision you make; but you know what? You can smile and nod and remind yourself that they will probably eat crow when it's their turn! I totally understand, we've definitely had our moments of spoiled sleeping. But the good thing is you do what works for you! Ike used to only want to sleep after 2am in bed with me, and now he HATES our bed. (But he will still do the occasional couch cuddle when he's teething--like right now as I type this trapped under a sleeping baby). Whatever works is what is best!
ReplyDelete