Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Odd Mom

I think I have mentioned this before, but in case you didn't know, I am very lacking in the "mommy friends" department.
Don't get me wrong, I actually have a bunch of friends (IRL and fellow bloggers) with kids, but the problem is they all live far away! Some not so far, I have several that are a 30-60 minute drive away, but that's still far in my opinion. I have thanked my lucky stars for Laura when I found out she was pregnant with her daughter. She is only a 15 minute drive away! But still, even when we hang out we muse about how we wish we were only a few blocks apart so we could just walk to each others houses.

Anyway. . . .in an effort to try and make new friends in town I signed Bean and I up for story time at our local library.

I guess I should preface this by explaining a little bit about myself. I'm kinda sarcastic. Even though I know it's not nice, I sometimes make fun of people. I honestly don't mean any harm by it! I swear! I just find some things that parents/people do funny! I don't think it's wrong what some parents do, and I'm not judging them, I just can't help but laugh. Combine that with my inexperience with kids and people with kids . . . . yeah. . .do you see where this is going?

I'm not sure what I expected story time to be for "kids two and under".

We sang.

Oye.

Random cute picture of Bean playing with a spoon and bowls. I just hate posts with out pictures.


Have you ever seen the documentary Babies? It's awesome by the way, if you haven't seen it rent it! There is this one part in it where the San Fransisco dad takes his daughter to a class, and they are singing some song about "the earth is our mother" and his daughter takes off and tries to run out of the class room.

It's funny! My husband and I joked about how the baby probably thought the class was ridiculous and that's why she tried to make a break for it.

So there I sat with Bean, in the same type of situation.

It was SO hard to take it seriously. I kept thinking to myself, "Be friendly! You might make new friends." But all I wanted to do was joke about the stuff we were doing, but I didn't know anybody in the class, and I didn't want anybody to be offended.

I found myself saying stupid word vomit to the other moms (Horrible small talk about where they lived. I think one mom thought I was a crazy stalker.) and when I came home I kept thinking they probably think I'm some kind of weirdo.

Even though I was horribly odd, Bean enjoyed it. He smiled at all the kids, bubbles, and scarves. I guess I will have to be brave and take him back next week. Now that I know what to expect hopefully I will fit in better. :-)

That and I can sing my aria before class so my voice is warmed up for "I'm a Little Tea Pot."

1 comment: