Monday, September 19, 2011

Medical Updates

Here are some updates on Bean's head tilting:

Once again he has stopped tilting, of course, but we still took him to the neurologist.

It pretty much went how I expected. She said he looked good, checked all his reflexes and asked a bunch of questions. Honestly I don't think any doctor is going to tell me what I want, which is "stop worrying everything is fine." If they can't stick a specific label on what is going on they will never say it's ok because of liability.

There were two things that Bean is doing that the neurologist didn't like. She had asked us if he was saying mama or dada. Well he had about a week where he was babbling mama a bunch (he didn't know what it meant, but he'd make the noise), and lately he really hasn't been babbling mama (that week he was growling and making raspberries a ton). She said that wasn't normal. I don't really thing it's so odd, he's found other noises he likes to make more? I dunno. . .I'm not the doctor I guess. The second thing she didn't like was she said it looked like maybe he wasn't tracking things evenly with his eyes. In the same breath though she said it could just be he's still developing, so now we have to see ANOTHER specialist. An ophthalmologist. The thing I don't understand is if it was a problem with his vision why would he randomly stop doing it? Wouldn't it be more constant?

She said she would like an "image series" which I'm assuming means MRI, but she said that there really didn't seem like there was enough that was suspicious to merit risking anesthesia to take it. So instead she said she wanted to see us back in 6 weeks. Which I totally think is pointless. For what? Does she really think things will change in 6 weeks?

I guess I'm just frustrated. I want answers and I don't think I'm going to get them, and I feel like the doctors are just going to order tests and keep referring us to specialists.

So we see the ophthalmologist this week, physical therapist next week and his 9 month "well visit" is next week too. Oh yeah, and I'm also seeing the eye doctor this week too.

I hate doctors.

It's going to be a rough two weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Things could change in 6 weeks! He is growing SO FAST, and who knows-- maybe he will have switched noises/babbles again by then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From someone with a child who has to see a neurologist, you're not going to hear everything is fine from a specialist. They're not trained that way. They are trained to see problems because of the severity of issues with which they deal. Chances are, his babbling and raspberries are norm, but the dr sees many kids in which small issues point to much larger issues. It's the same with the tests she wants to schedule. In her line.of work, imaging helps her determine what is going on in the parts where she can't see.
    If in your heart, you want to hear that everything is
    fine...wait. Schedule an appointment with your pediatrician in a few weeks or a month and reassess. See what he's doing, see if he's back to babbling and go from there. Believe me, I know how hard it is to not have answers, but sometimes the best you can do as a mom is observe and follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping you get some answers soon. I know how you feel about doctors, and I'm sure it's not any easier taking the baby. Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was this a pediatric neurologist? I'm curious because I don't think that the raspberries are that uncommon. Henry did the raspberries for the longest time, while Jack hardley ever did it.

    I know how you feel though, it's hard to be patient but they do really grow up quickly and 6 weeks could surprise you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Megan - It was a pediatric neurologist. It wasn't that she thought the raspberries were odd, it was that he wasn't making the "mama" babble as much like he did before. But honestly he's stopped growling now and doesn't really make raspberries any more, he's moved onto general yelling and different babble noises with his hand in his mouth. So who knows.

    ReplyDelete