With finances being so tight lately I've been searching for ways to reduce our monthly bills. Right now we spend around 80-100 dollars a month on diapers. That's a lot of money! Granted I can find sales/coupons, or specials on diapers.com to save money (right now I got a great temporary deal online, we are only paying 19 cents a diaper), but that requires time and effort both of which are on short supply these days.
Last weekend I borrowed a couple of different kinds to try out on Bean. There are so many different kinds it can get pretty over whelming. But I liked the pocket diapers the best.
True pocket diapers are pricey, but I think prefolds are just too much work and I wouldn't use them.
Plus there is the advantage if we do eventually have another baby, we won't have to buy diapers for that baby. Or if we don't have another baby, cloth diapers have a pretty decent resale, so we can get some money back.
So while I know how great cloth diapers are for the environment, yadda yadda yadda, this mama is doing it for her pocket book. Selfish, but true. Oh well.
I have a friend who used cloth diapers (and made her own baby food and breast-fed for the first year!). I know it definitely helped keep some costs down. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteah! now i know why i got that email ;) i just want to encourage you ... most babies do AWESOME with them. i honestly don't know what's wrong with lucy, but i guess she's just sensitive? emma never had any issues with the diapers.
ReplyDeleteand it wasn't bad at all with emma. i didn't really notice a huge difference in the amount of laundry or any of that. i just couldn't deal with lucy whining about them after i did all the work of washing, folding, etc.
maybe i gave up too soon? i'm keeping the largest sizes just in case, but i'm actually really sad that i'm giving it up.
I know someone who hand-sews them for pretty cheap. I could get you info if you're interested.
ReplyDelete