Friday, January 15, 2010

Hunt for End Tables

It's that time again boys and girls, time to buy some more new furniture! The first set of furniture was relatively fun to buy. Jared and I had disagreements about the couches, but the table and wine server we totally agreed on (miracle!). Now we're looking for mission style end tables, a coffee table, entertainment center, and sofa table to finish off the kitchen/dining/family room.

Well I found a set that I liked and an entertainment center at the last place we bought at, Darvin Furniture. Problem was that the table set was not on display, we could only see the entertainment center. So we went to the store and took a drawer from our wine server and it matched the entertainment center perfectly! After that we spoke to a sales guy and told him we wanted the entertainment center and were interested in what the deal was buying something that was on the web site but not on display. My big concern was finish of the wood, and what would happen if we got the tables to our house and we didn't like them. I know you can never get things to always match perfectly (and everything matching is not always the best look), but I wanted something in the same realm. The guy at Darvin told us if we didn't like the furniture we were stuck with it, no store credit, no restocking fees. . .just screwed. Yeah, that didn't go over so well with me. All I wanted was at least store credit. We have a whole house to furnish, I can always get something else.

Long story short I called around to a ton of furniture stores and NOBODY had them on display, so I found another private furniture company that was willing to do 100% store credit if we didn't like the tables. We drove to the store and it happened that the guy found a wood sample of the pieces that we wanted to order and it was horrible! A light honey color which is nothing like the medium brown with a hint of red tables that we have. We ended up ordering a similar set, which the guy had another wood sample of. It's darker then the table and wine server, but I think a little darker will look better then too light. Plus the end table we have now is a super dark finish, and I don't think it looks out of place.

Here's what it looks like. http://www.darvin.com/Img/products/Peters_Revington/color/Lake%20Placid_2806-22-b2.jpg

Here is the first set we wanted to buy that ended up being a light honey color. Now when I look at this picture it matches our current furniture pretty well. http://www.darvin.com/Img/Products/Peters_Revington/Color/5721-B.jpg

Buying wood furniture is a pain in the butt, I can never see the big picture in my head. I think when we decide to furnish the living room it's going to be a buy everything at once deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment