I think one of the biggest things for me this year was cooking my first traditional Christmas dinner for my side of the family. My family is very very small (just Jared, me, Mom, Dad and Grandpa), but I was still nervous about cooking because my mother is an excellent cook. Well everything turned out great, and even Grandpa complimented me on the meal. The only thing that we didn't cook was the kuglis (potato and bacon casserole). The potatoes have to be hand grated; it's notorious for skinning knuckles in the process of making it (also the secret ingredient? lol). Mom brought that one over for us, next year I think we will try and cook the entire meal.
It's funny how when you finally cook a formal-ish meal you discover all the things that you are lacking in the kitchen. I bought my first set of linen napkins and napkin holders on after Christmas sale, it will make the place setting look a lot nicer next year. This was also the first time I've used Grandma's china. It was a lot of fun.
We hosted our first New Years Eve party this year! I don't think we've ever had that many people over at one time before, AND we served a pot luck dinner. I was freaking out at first that we were going to serve a messy meal and we can only fit about 8 people at our kitchen table (and 11 were coming), but I had a stroke of genius and we brought the old kitchen table up from the basement and set it in the family room so we had enough eating space. It was a great night of games and Rock Band. I stayed up until 3:30 in the morning! I don't remember the last time I stayed up that late. . . I think I'm getting old. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment