Monday, September 17, 2012

20-ish Months

Dear Bean,

What a joy you have been these past few months.  You keep me on my toes and busy every second of every day (which is part of the reason why I haven't been writing as much).

You still love to be outside.  "Out" is one of the select few words in your vocabulary right now.  Although your favorite way to ask to go outside is by bringing me your shoes and sitting down in my lap.  After I put them on you go and find mine too.  Always my little helper.

One of the things that has really been making me smile lately is your love for Ella.  I think the two of you are one of the cutest things I've ever seen.  Almost every time you see her lately you run up to her with your arms spread wide ready for a big hug.  If she's in an accepting mood she will wrap her little arms around you too and rest her head on your shoulder.  If the hug lasts long enough you will start to gently pat her back (the way I do when I hug you).  It warms my heart so much seeing your sweet friendship.

You love to help out with any kind of chore around the house.  Some of your favorites are emptying the dishwasher, putting away groceries, sweeping your grandparent's porch, and pushing the swiffer around the house.  Last night while you were helping with the dishwasher I mused with your father about how we hope these lovely habits continue onto your teenage years. . . .I don't think I'll hold my breath though. :-)

Playing hide and go seek is one of your favorite games to play with your Daddy.  He will put you in the family room and throw a blanket over your head, and then run and hide somewhere on the main floor of the house.  You stay under for a few seconds, fling the blanket off and then go running in search of him.  Sometimes if your seeking takes too long you will start to call his name.  "DAAAAA!" you yell at the top of your lungs until he softly calls to you giving away his position.  It makes me a little jealous how much you call for your Daddy because despite my attempts you still rarely call me Mama.  I've heard it a few times, but the only consistent way you say it is if you hurt yourself and cry.  Not the most desirable situation.

Lately I've been trying to teach you how to give kisses with your mouth closed.  You still hold your mouth open as wide as it will go when giving kisses, and sometimes you will stick your tongue out too.  Not only can it get very wet but sometimes you will chomp down after you make contact, which can leave your recipient with a bitten lip.  Ouch!  Hopefully we will break that habit soon.

I can't believe it's almost fall.  Pretty soon we will be in that last quick stretch of the year where the rest of the months fly even faster.  I am so excited for the holidays this year.  Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be so much more special sharing them with you and being a family of three.  Before we know it will be your second birthday.  It's so true what they say.  You see time go by so much faster when you watch your child growing.

All of my love,
Mama


1 comment:

  1. The most true statement I've heard about raising children is, "The days are long, but the years are short." So true. Can't believe he's going to be 2 at the end of the year. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete