But I digress. . . .onto the actual post.
Dear Bean,
I seriously cannot count the number of times I look at you every day and think I can't believe how big you are, and how different things are from this time last year. Your second year is going by WAY faster then your first. Don't get me wrong, the first year definitely went by fast, but I seriously feel like I blink an eye and another month has past. (I started this post when you turned 15 months, but now you are almost 16.5 months. . . .yikes)
One of your favorite things to do lately is lead people around. You will grab any hand you can reach and drag your unsuspecting victim all over.
You vocabulary is still pretty limited. You can say Dada, all done (ah da), doggie (dee dee), banana (na-na), yeah, choo (shoe), and are finally starting to say Mama without screaming. . . .although it's still most commonly heard when you are upset.
In terms of gross motor you are a pretty awesome walker now. Lately we have been trying to get you to eat with a fork or spoon. It's pretty funny to watch. You take the fork with both hands and sort of pinch the very end of the handle from the top part (the type of grasp you would use if you going to dip something I think?) Then you attempt to pierce the food. Sometimes you are gentle, but most times it's like you are trying to murder something. I'm not sure how you get such force behind your fork with that silly grasp. Once you have got some food on the end you will flip/twirl the fork in your hand once instead of simply bringing it to your mouth. This is the portion of the processes that you are most efficient at. Then finally once the food is in your mouth you look at us and applaud yourself. Haha, I think all the positive reinforcement your father and I are giving you is making an impression.
Definitely the best thing you are doing now is giving intentional hugs and kisses. I always know when you want to give me a kiss because you come at me with your mouth wide open and saying "ahhhhhhhh." Then you plant a big slobbery one on my cheek. With hugging you will usually run over and tackle me. When I scoop you up in my arms you will lay your head on my shoulder, wrap your arms around me, and squeeze. I had a laugh the other day because I noticed if I gently pat/rub your back while you are hugging me, you start to do the same thing back to me.
Right now I think you are in the process of transitioning to one nap a day. It's frustrating for me because I'm back to not being able to make any plans during the day because I have no idea when or how long you will sleep for. I've been spoiled for a while with your very predicable sleep schedule. I'd really like your one nap to be an afternoon one (around 2), but you just can't seem to make it that long. Some days you are ready to nap at 9am (if you got up early) and you sleep for 2.5 hours and then refuse to take an afternoon nap. The problem then is you are a MONSTER by bedtime. Oh well, I'm sure we will get back into a routine sometime soon. Hopefully. . .
You LOVE to push anything that will move. Push toys, chairs, trucks, a snow shovel, the lawn mower, anything that is bigger then you you will push around. The bad part about this is you get SO angry if whatever you are pushing stops moving or gets stuck. This means that I usually have to follow you around when you are doing this otherwise it's tantrum city.
Speaking of angry, you have quite the temper now. If you don't get your way, watch out! If it's a minor fit you will just hang on our pants and stomp your feet and scream. A full out tantrum consists of you literally throwing yourself on the ground, screaming, kicking your legs, etc. Last week when Daddy was watching you you threw one of the bad fits and when you threw yourself on the ground you sliced the little muscle attachment between your upper front teeth and your lip with your lower teeth. Daddy said you were gushing and spitting blood all over. So scary! I wish you would stop doing that. Fortunately your lip seems to be healing just fine.
Every day you grow and change a little more. Pretty soon if I don't get this letter finished you will be 18 months! Who knows what new fun things you will be up to then?
You are so very very loved,
Mama
In terms of gross motor you are a pretty awesome walker now. Lately we have been trying to get you to eat with a fork or spoon. It's pretty funny to watch. You take the fork with both hands and sort of pinch the very end of the handle from the top part (the type of grasp you would use if you going to dip something I think?) Then you attempt to pierce the food. Sometimes you are gentle, but most times it's like you are trying to murder something. I'm not sure how you get such force behind your fork with that silly grasp. Once you have got some food on the end you will flip/twirl the fork in your hand once instead of simply bringing it to your mouth. This is the portion of the processes that you are most efficient at. Then finally once the food is in your mouth you look at us and applaud yourself. Haha, I think all the positive reinforcement your father and I are giving you is making an impression.
Definitely the best thing you are doing now is giving intentional hugs and kisses. I always know when you want to give me a kiss because you come at me with your mouth wide open and saying "ahhhhhhhh." Then you plant a big slobbery one on my cheek. With hugging you will usually run over and tackle me. When I scoop you up in my arms you will lay your head on my shoulder, wrap your arms around me, and squeeze. I had a laugh the other day because I noticed if I gently pat/rub your back while you are hugging me, you start to do the same thing back to me.
Right now I think you are in the process of transitioning to one nap a day. It's frustrating for me because I'm back to not being able to make any plans during the day because I have no idea when or how long you will sleep for. I've been spoiled for a while with your very predicable sleep schedule. I'd really like your one nap to be an afternoon one (around 2), but you just can't seem to make it that long. Some days you are ready to nap at 9am (if you got up early) and you sleep for 2.5 hours and then refuse to take an afternoon nap. The problem then is you are a MONSTER by bedtime. Oh well, I'm sure we will get back into a routine sometime soon. Hopefully. . .
You LOVE to push anything that will move. Push toys, chairs, trucks, a snow shovel, the lawn mower, anything that is bigger then you you will push around. The bad part about this is you get SO angry if whatever you are pushing stops moving or gets stuck. This means that I usually have to follow you around when you are doing this otherwise it's tantrum city.
Speaking of angry, you have quite the temper now. If you don't get your way, watch out! If it's a minor fit you will just hang on our pants and stomp your feet and scream. A full out tantrum consists of you literally throwing yourself on the ground, screaming, kicking your legs, etc. Last week when Daddy was watching you you threw one of the bad fits and when you threw yourself on the ground you sliced the little muscle attachment between your upper front teeth and your lip with your lower teeth. Daddy said you were gushing and spitting blood all over. So scary! I wish you would stop doing that. Fortunately your lip seems to be healing just fine.
Every day you grow and change a little more. Pretty soon if I don't get this letter finished you will be 18 months! Who knows what new fun things you will be up to then?
You are so very very loved,
Mama
He sounds like a wonderful baby! I miss having a little one around. I really, really miss it : )
ReplyDelete