Monday, October 3, 2011

Tilty

What a month this has been.


So busy. . . full of not so fun things, namely doctors visits.

Two weeks ago was Bean's PT evaluation, and I think we might possibly have gotten some answers. The diagnosis? Torticolis.

I know what you are thinking. "Wait Kris, you said you talked to your pediatrician and you both agreed it couldn't be torticolis because the tilting was only occasional??"

Yeah I thought the same thing. So I asked the physical therapist the exact same question. The answer I got was this: Bean's torticolis is extremely mild. So mild, that to the untrained eye he sometimes looks like he's not tilting at all when he's feeling good. The tilting will also seem to get worse when he's not feeling well, teething, learning a new gross motor, or overly tired.

Hmmmmm. . . .ok.

Honestly at first I didn't completely buy it, but then she pointed out a few other indicators to me. When he goes from a sitting position to crawling he almost always leads with his right leg. Torticolis kids don't like to bear weight on the side of the torticolis (Bean's is the left side). He can do the left, but he'll only do it when forced to. I've been watching him all this week and she was right, he totally does that!

So now I have to do some stretches with him twice a day, and he's going to physical therapy once a week.

Hopefully this will be the end of the tilting saga. Phew.

Sadly though this will not be the end of our visits to specialists. Bean is going to need surgery soon. Nothing life threatening, but it's something that needs to be taken care of and he will need to go under general anesthesia for. . .which is scary. Not sure when it will all go down yet, but probably some time before his first birthday.

Yay more doctors! (that's sarcasm in case you missed it)

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you guys! At least you know what it is now, and don't have that lingering over your head. I know it's not much, but you have an answer and a plan. Keep all of us in blogger-land posted!

    ReplyDelete