Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The first few days

The move into the house went very smoothly. This was because we did such a great job packing and had Daniela, Greg, Brian, Sarah, Pat, and Tim to help us move. What great friends! Only one piece of furniture was broken slightly and after several discussions about where to put the over the toilet cabinet and not being able to come to an agreement about it, Jared and I have decided to just throw it away ("I had to use lose lose on that one". . .for all you office fans out there :)

A really frustrating part about the move was that the master bedroom and the family room carpets needed to be stretched before we could move furniture into them, so we could only unpack so far on Sunday. The carpet stretchers were supposed to come at 10am on Monday, and then we had scheduled at&t to come between 12 and 2 to install the cable, internet, and phone. Timing was important because we had to get the t.v. and things into the rooms in time for the cable guy to hook stuff up. Of course the only 2 rooms we couldn't move things into were the rooms that the cable t.v. was going into. 10am rolls around and no carpet guys. Jared calls the store and the owner said the contractors never showed up this morning (nice of them to call and tell us right??). Great, so after calming Jared down we just threw the big t.v. into the family room and the small one in the master bedroom. The cable guy shows up and says he needs to check things out outside before he can work inside. He comes back after 10 min and says the signal isn't strong enough to the house and he has to call the "outside work guys" to fix it before he can work inside. So basically that day we were 0 for 2. It was very frustrating waiting around all day and nothing getting accomplished. It all worked out in the end though, the carpet guys ended up coming around 5 on Monday and the cable guy was able to get back on Tuesday.

The kitchen sink was an easy fix for Jared. Here you can see him hard at work.

Nothing else has gone wrong so far except for some confusion with the dishwasher. On Sat when Daniela, Sarah, and I started unpacking the kitchen we loaded up the dishwasher to wash all the glasses. I turned the dial and nothing happened. For about an hour I was swearing in my head about another thing breaking and having to buy a new appliance already. The boys got back from moving the last few pieces of furniture and started helping us work on the dishwasher. After about 10 min of checking breakers and looking underneath it Greg stood next to the counter, looked at a light switch above the dishwasher and said "This surely isn't it is it?" and he flips the switch and the dishwasher roars to life. . . .yeesh. Apparently it's hooked up to a switch. So weird. After we discovered that I want to say the house inspector may have told us it, but honestly I can't remember.

We decided to hang the stained glass Daniela bought me for my birthday in the window over the kitchen sink.

This is the new bathroom set we bought for the guest bathroom (excuse the tags, I forgot to cut them off :)
Who knew stainless garbage cans were so expensive?! We had to buy a new one because there was no room under the sink for our old one. 95 dollars, ugh.


This is one of my favorite purchases. We put the kitty litter box in the basement and installed a cat door in the basement door! No more litter tracked all over the house! YAY! Unfortunately the cat is too much of a wimp to push the flap with her head so it will have to stay a hole for a while till we can teach her to go through it with the door.

I think that's about it for now. I will post some finished room pictures at the end of the week when everything is unpacked.

1 comment:

  1. I love the kitty door! Was it hard to install? I think we're going to do the same thing with our basement door.

    ReplyDelete